Thursday, March 23, 2006

Sherry - Today we were taking it slow. We didn't even wake up until about 11:30 am, which is quite unusual for us. Bill and I tend to wake up around 6 or 7 am everyday, even on weekends, so we had no idea that it was already nearly noon by the time we got up!

Mum and Dad made simple noodles and dumplings for lunch, which was a welcome relief after all the feasts we've been shovelling into our faces over the past week. Then we went to the travel agency to pay for our Hong Kong trip. It costs a total of NT$22,900 for the airfare and 3 nights hotel at the Ramada, which is approximately C$410 per person.

Then, Dad dropped us off at Tesco, which is a shopping combo of Cosco, Walmart and Loblaws. We got to hang there for an hour and half. Funnily enough, I kind of wish we had that kind of time when we were at the Forbidden Palace and the Temple of Heaven in Beijing, instead of getting rushed through all those incredible historical sites at breakneck speed.

Dinner was a homecooked meal, with loads of veggies, shrimp, 'lion's mane', beef tendon and rice the way I like it. Man to I ever miss mom's cooking. Somehow I eat much more when I come here, but because it's so healthy, I end up losing weight. Note to self: figure out how to do that in Toronto. I've become so fat eating North American style. (I suppose the lack of exercise has something to do with it as well.)

Bill has made a commitment to learn Chinese. I think that has in part to do with the fact that he inherently doesn't trust my interpretations (smart boy), but more than that, I think he wants to be able to be able to ask questions when he has them, as opposed to waiting for me to do it on his behalf. He has an ear for tone and beat, so, so far, he's learned what I teach him quite quickly. He's just found the Rosetta Stone via the internet and has been playing with it all afternoon. It's quite interesting how quickly someone can learn a language when he's decided he is going to do it! I'm very impressed with his progress.

Tomorrow, we're off to Hong Kong. I can't wait to get on Cathay Pacific Airlines, probably one of the best airlines in the world! And of course, I can't wait to see my cute nephew and neice. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home